Saturday, April 14, 2018

MISTAKES

HELLO! Filmmaking can be really hard and hectic. There are so many things going on that it leaves space for so many things to go wrong! On this blog post, we will get real sappy and talk about my regrets and mistakes in the making of our project. But THEN, we will talk about how to fix our mistakes or what I learned to do better next time.

FIRST MISTAKE- I was not consistent with my blogposts, this lowered my grade significantly and gave me the sleep deprivation I currently have. Also, if I would I have been consistent with my blog, it would have probably forced me to be more consistent with the production process, getting things done ahead of time instead of last minute.
HOW TO FIX IT- For my next project, I now know better to plan ahead of time and get work done in portions over time instead of cramming last minute.

SECOND MISTAKE- I did not have a shot list. Even though we had a storyboard, it wasn't detailed and user friendly enough to rely on on set. This caused my to go rely on the script and have to improvise shot types on the spot. This took away the ability for me to be extra intentional about my framing and composition which took away from visual effect. Not having a shot list also caused me to forget to film a couple key shots which created gaps in my story. I fixed this by taking certain other clips and dialogue lines out so that the story could still make sense without those key shots.
HOW TO FIX IT- Have a well though out and detailed shot list/storyboard so that everything is shot properly and you won't waste time coming up with shots on the spot.

THIRD MISTAKE- Lack of planning ahead. We did not start planning for the shoot until a couple of days before. I we would have started the process earlier, we would of had time to cast actors and better fit our characters instead of having to change the characters to fit our actors. I also would of had more time to get a better organized production crew. Also, I would of had time for location scouting which would have made the kitchen scene a lot more interesting instead of using the locations that were just across the street from my house. More time could have also given me the opportunity to reshoot of get shots that I forgot to get during the production days. More time could have also given us the opportunity to revise and edit the script to make it even more interesting and impactful.
HOW TO FIX IT- I now know the importance of starting ahead of time. Having a calendar with set and confirmed dates and deadlines would have helped.With enough time, next time I'll be able to think things through better so that my vision can really become a reality and I can be satisfied with my work.

It is important to recognize my mistakes. Not to wallow in regret but to learn how to get better and overcome those mistakes in the future. Being honest to yourself and learning from your failures is what makes you grow.

No comments:

Post a Comment